How can I practice mindful drinking?
- Pause and evaluate whether each drink supports you. “A lot of us fall into default behaviors.
- Make a drinking — or alternative — game plan in advance.
- Don’t hold on tightly to restrictions, as rules can backfire.
- Order first.
- Rehearse how you’ll tell people.
- Savor your drink.
How do you mindfully drink water?
- Slowly bring the water to your mouth and take a mouthful.
- Focus on the water and the notice the space it fills in your mouth.
- Swallow the water slowly.
- Notice the slow, clear, peaceful water falling down your throat with each drink.
- Between each mouthful, take a deep breath and exhale.
- Focus on the water.
What is an intentional drinker? Approaching the actual act of drinking with slow, intentional movements prevents you from over-imbibing, which can cause both your body and wallet unnecessary stress. When it comes to alcohol, you need to be honest with yourself and your body. Have a check-in before each drink.
What if I have a drink during dry January? Dry January can reveal potential alcohol problems, including symptoms of alcohol withdrawal ranging from mild to serious, depending on how much you usually drink. Mild symptoms include anxiety, shaky hands, headache, nausea, vomiting, sweating, and insomnia.