How do you create a mindfulness program?
- Establishing a routine.
- Start small.
- Choosing a place.
- Getting started – Identify an anchor.
- Focus on being present.
- Notice thoughts that appear.
- Notice feelings that are around.
- Return to your anchor when you become distracted.
How is mindfulness used in schools? A new study suggests that mindfulness education — lessons on techniques to calm the mind and body — can reduce the negative effects of stress and increase students’ ability to stay engaged, helping them stay on track academically and avoid behavior problems.
How do I become a mindful teacher?
- Take a moment to breathe. It sounds strange, but sometimes we get so caught up in our day that we actually forget to breathe.
- Listen carefully.
- Ground yourself.
- Use your sense of smell.
- Try a change of scenery.
- Walk mindfully.
- Make an authentic connection.
How do I add mindfulness to my classroom? Mindfulness Through Guided Imagery
Guided imagery develops children’s imaginations. It also helps to integrate learning with prior knowledge. When you start a new topic in your classroom, have your students close their eyes (if that’s comfortable) and slowly talk them through a pretend journey.