How does mindfulness meditation reduce depression? “When you meditate, you are better able to ignore the negative sensations of stress and anxiety, which explains, in part, why stress levels fall when you meditate,” says Dr. Denninger. Another way meditation helps the brain is by protecting the hippocampus (a brain area involved in memory).
How do I start meditation for anxiety and depression?
- Get comfortable. It’s often helpful to sit down when first learning meditation, but if you feel better standing up or lying down, that works, too.
- Begin with your breath. Take slow, deep breaths through your nose.
- Move from breath to body.
Can meditation help with SAD? Meditation stimulates the function of the pineal gland, creating more melatonin to promote relaxation. Meditation also increases serotonin levels, which can also be prescribed in the treatment of SAD.
What type of meditation is best for depression?
- Loving-kindness meditation. Focuses on creating a loving and kind environment for yourself.
- Mindfulness meditation. Some people consider this the most potent form of meditation.
- Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy.
- Walking meditation.