What can you do for a mindfulness group?
- Begin with a mindfulness practice, such as a body-scan.
- Explore the theme of the session(s).
- Use participatory dialogue to investigate and explore experiences.
- Introduce short mindful sessions to break down some of the formality of the therapy.
- Wrap up with a short mindfulness session.
What activities are considered mindfulness? “This can include journaling, movement, reading, or meditation. Be flexible and do what feels best.” For specific examples, you can start with yoga and notice what your body needs in that moment, or read an uplifting book to set a positive tone for the day.
How do you lead a group in mindfulness? – Beginner’s Mind: see what it would be like to meet each moment with fresh eyes. – Be Present: take a break from email, snacking, rumination, and other distractions. If you need to come or go early, support the group by doing so quietly. – Kindness & Curiosity: invite these attitudes towards yourself and others.
What are 5 mindfulness exercises you can do with students?
- Mindful breathing. This activity is great for bringing the mind back to the importance of our breath.
- Color breathing. Ask your students to think of a relaxing color and another color that represents anger, frustration, or sadness.
- The five senses.
- Body scan.
- Breaktime bell.
- Daily gratitude.