What is a mindful eating? Mindful eating (i.e., paying attention to our food, on purpose, moment by moment, without judgment) is an approach to food that focuses on individuals’ sensual awareness of the food and their experience of the food. It has little to do with calories, carbohydrates, fat, or protein.
Can you lose weight with mindful eating? The vast majority of studies agree that mindful eating helps you lose weight by changing your eating behaviors and reducing stress ( 18 ). A 6-week group seminar on mindful eating among people with obesity resulted in an average weight loss of 9 pounds (4 kg) during the seminar and the 12-week follow-up period ( 10 ).
What are the steps of mindful eating?
- Sit down and unplug. Sometimes eating can feel like another item on the to-do list.
- Eat slowly.
- Chew well.
- Sip, don’t gulp.
- Embrace your senses.
- Eat only when you’re hungry.
- Adopt an attitude of gratitude.
How do you eat mindfully in 5 simple steps?
- Step 1 – When hunger strikes. When you are hungry, become aware of your body.
- Step 2 – Choosing what to eat. Look or think about the choices available to you, becoming aware of what’s on offer.
- Step 3 – Preparing your food.
- Step 4 – Eating.
- Step 5 – After you’ve finished.