What is the mindfulness diet? Mindful eating (i.e., paying attention to our food, on purpose, moment by moment, without judgment) is an approach to food that focuses on individuals’ sensual awareness of the food and their experience of the food. It has little to do with calories, carbohydrates, fat, or protein.
Can you lose weight with mindful eating? The vast majority of studies agree that mindful eating helps you lose weight by changing your eating behaviors and reducing stress ( 18 ). A 6-week group seminar on mindful eating among people with obesity resulted in an average weight loss of 9 pounds (4 kg) during the seminar and the 12-week follow-up period ( 10 ).
What foods are good for mindful eating?
- The 8 Most Mindful Foods.
- Pomegranates. A whole pomegranate may be THE most mindful food I can think of.
- Pistachios. Pistachios and other shelled nuts require a little (or a lot of) work.
- Edamame (in pods)
How do I start mindful eating?
- Begin with your shopping list.
- Come to the table with an appetite — but not when ravenously hungry.
- Start with a small portion.
- Appreciate your food.
- Bring all your senses to the meal.
- Take small bites.
- Chew thoroughly.
- Eat slowly.